SRI Executive Search has been contracted by the Fairtrade Africa to assist with the search for an exceptional candidate to fill the position of Commercial Director. Established in 2005, Fairtrade Africa (FTA), a membership-based organisation, is the independent non-profit umbrella organisation representing all Fairtrade certified producers in Africa. Fairtrade Africa members produce traditional export commodities such as coffee, cocoa, tea, cotton, bananas, mango and non-traditional commodities including shea butter and rooibos tea. Currently, the organisation represents over one million farmers and workers across 29 countries in Africa and the Middle East. You can find further details on their website https://fairtradeafrica.net/.
The Commercial Director will promote and expand FTA members’ commercial activity that will help generate revenues and lead to sustainable growth and improved livelihoods in Africa. Working as part of the Leadership Team, the Commercial Director will lead FTA’s functional efforts to optimize sales for our members under Fairtrade terms and to assist them in capturing additional value from the respective supply chains. Responsible for drafting, implementing and evaluating cross- functional strategies that will enable FTA members’ commercial efforts on the ground and work as one with other parts of the Fairtrade International system to optimise the value captured for our farmers and workers.
The ideal candidate will hold a University degree, combined with a specialisation in commerce, marketing and sales.
The ideal candidate will have worked in a commercial senior role at a well-known organisation and with a proven success track record, with:
1. At least seven years of senior-level commercial management experience with a reputable organisation.
2. Has strong business and commercial strategy background that will be suitable for the Africa region, specifically African market.
3. Proven and demonstrable experience in sales and/or marketing and managing relationships with key stakeholders and clients.
4. Proven relevant commercial and value chain experience working in both developed and developing markets across multiple countries and cultures.
5. In-depth understanding of market research methods and analysis.
6. An extensive network of relevant commercial contacts across different African, Middle East and Asian countries.
7. Experience in the delivery of strong marketing campaigns, media management and implementing marketing plans with measurable results.
8. Ability to build effective working relationships across functional areas will be essential together with solid experience of leading change management programmes.
9. The ability to influence and build consensus with member organisations and shape strategic and policy direction and decisions of Fairtrade.
10. Proven experience in project management across different countries in Africa with smallholder agricultural producers.
11. Proven experience in budget management and operational planning.
12. Creative, innovative, proactive and good organisation skills.
13. Experience in working from a clean slate and can set up systems and structures for the new directorate.
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
The successful candidate will be based in the FTA secretariat located in Kenya.
How to Apply
If you wish to be considered for this position, please forward a copy of your CV and a supporting letter in Microsoft Word format, along with any relevant documentation to Carol Mallari at FTA-CD@sri-executive.com on or before 21 st August 2020. All information will be in the strictest confidence as we pride ourselves on our professional service. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application.
SRI Executive is exclusively retained by Fairtrade Africa to undertake this assignment.